Today we wanted to provide an update on the Vikendi performance issues that many of you have been experiencing (rendering and falling/flying vehicles and characters). If you missed last week’s update where we walked through some of the technical difficulties that we have been facing, please feel free to take a read here.
We are happy to inform you that the team is preparing an update to roll out some improvements and fixes for these issues. This update is tentatively scheduled for February 28.
Below is what the update will be addressing:
- Fix the issue where vehicles going at high speeds could fly or fall through the map (applies to the map Miramar as well)
- Increase the size of the texture streaming pool to cache in memory
- This will be done to improve rendering times
- Fix the issue where LOD 1 does not load, causing buildings to not load at all
To dive a bit deeper into the Level of Detail issue, we’ll describe Level of Detail (LOD) 1 as “playdough” detail and LOD 0 as full detail (100% rendered).
- Before the January 22 update, players were able to at least see actual buildings in “playdough” detail. Then, textures would gradually load until LOD 0 was achieved.
- After the January 22 update, LOD 1 stopped loading until LOD 0 was achieved. When LOD 1 does not load, this skips the “playdough” step, causing buildings to not load at all. This is currently what is happening on Vikendi. Without LOD 1, the state of building rendering is either at 0% or 100% (LOD 0), which means no buildings at all -> 100% fully detailed buildings.
We’re hard at work hammering on these issues to deliver a stable update on February 28. We want to thank you all for your patience, and we’ll be sure to update everyone with official patch notes as we get closer to deployment.
PUBG Console Team